Family Sponsored Visa to USA

Family immigration

Relationships with family members are among the most critical aspects of their lives for many people. As a result, many citizens of this country and lawful permanent residents seek to have family members living overseas come to America to live and work. At The Kameli Law, we understand just how important family is. That is why we are dedicated to helping every client with our innovative approach to every case we take on. 

U.S. Citizen Petition for a Preference Relative to Become a Lawful Permanent Resident

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may be able to apply for certain family members to become lawful permanent residents. Becoming a lawful permanent resident is a two-part process that includes the petition you file for your relative (Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative) and your relative’s application for adjustment of status (Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) or an immigrant visa through the Department of State.

Filling out 1-130 Form


As a U.S. citizen, you may file for the following “preference” relatives:

  • Your spouse;
  • Your unmarried sons or daughters over 21 years of age;
  • Your married sons or daughters (any age);
  • Your siblings (if you are 21 years of age or older); and
  • Your parents (if you are 21 years of age or older).

If your qualifying immediate relative currently resides in the United States and wants to apply for lawful permanent resident status, they may apply using Form I-485 at the same time or after you file Form I-130.

Need Help Filling out the I-485 Form?


Green Card for Family Members of a Permanent Resident

To promote family unity, immigration law allows lawful permanent residents of the United States (also called LPRs or Green Card holders) to petition for certain eligible family members to obtain immigrant visas to come and live permanently in the United States or to adjust their status to LPRs if they are currently living in the United States.


As a Green Card holder (permanent resident), you may petition for your:

  • Spouse;
  • Unmarried children under 21; and
  • Unmarried son or daughter of any age


TheKameli Law with years of experience in this area can assist individuals interested in applying for a family-sponsored visa.


To learn more about your options for family-based visas, contact us at (312) 2330-1000

Do you receive Kameli Law Newswire?

Request Consultation