Citizenship and Naturalization Attorneys in Chicago
Discuss Your Naturalization Options with Law Offices of Kameli Associates.
The naturalization process will begin if a foreign citizen meets the conditions outlined in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Naturalization is the legal mechanism by which a foreign national becomes a citizen of the United States; however, before applying for citizenship, the applicant must meet certain requirements.
Completing applications, being interviewed, and taking a basic English and civics exam are the next steps in the legal process.
If you want to pursue citizenship, our Chicago immigration attorney will guide you through the process and act as your advocate every step of the way.
To learn more about how we can assist you with your citizenship application, please contact us at 312-233-1000 or fill out the form below.
Naturalization Eligibility Requirements
You may apply to become a citizen of the United States in a variety of ways. With the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney, you will ensure that you are on the right track and that all necessary paperwork is given and submitted on time.
If you meet the following criteria, you may be qualified for naturalization:
- You’ve lived in the United States for at least five years and meet all other qualifying criteria.
- You’ve lived in the United States for at least three years and meet the criteria to file as the spouse of a U.S. citizen.
- You have served in the US military and satisfy the other criteria.
- You are a citizen of the United States, but your child was born outside of the country (when applying for naturalization on behalf of your child)
The Path to U.S. Citizenship for a Green Card Holder
You will be eligible to apply for naturalization if you have held a green card for at least five years. However, there are other requirements set out by immigration law that must be fulfilled before an application can be submitted.
As a green card holder, you must meet the following requirements to be eligible for citizenship:
- When filing, you must be 18 years old or older.
- Before filing, you must have lived in the state for at least three months.
- If you are still financially dependent on your parents and are a student, you can apply where you go to school or where your family lives.
- Have lived in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years before filing.
- From the time of your application until the time of your naturalization, you must live in the United States continuously.
- Have a basic understanding of US government and history and be able to speak, read, and write English.
- Be an individual of good moral chastity and affirm the values of the United States Constitution.
Looking to Obtain Citizenship? Discuss Your Case with Law Offices of Kameli Associates
Law Offices of Kameli Associates recognizes the particular challenges that immigrants face when navigating the legal system as a descendant of powerful immigrants. At the Law Offices of Kameli Associates, we take our responsibility as your legal guide in your naturalization process and advocate very seriously.
Based on years of experience and proven record of success, our Chicago citizenship attorneys are prepared to handle your case and will provide a straightforward and thorough assessment of your options.
If you are looking to apply for citizenship in the United States,fill out the form below to get immigration advice from our citizenship attorneys in Chicago: