J-1:  Exchange Visitor

The goal of the Exchange Visitor (J) NIV category is to foster mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and other countries through educational and cultural exchanges. The J-1 Exchange Visitor NIV is provided for individuals who are approved to participate in exchange visitor programs in the U.S.  An applicant must be accepted for one of the Exchange Visitor Program categories through a designated sponsoring organization.  The Exchange Visitor Program is administered by the Office of Exchange Coordination and Designation in the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.  There are numerous programs, each with their own application requirements, which allow applicants to work, study, teach, train, or research in the U.S.

This visa program is for professors, research scholars, short-term scholars, bona fide trainee or intern, college or university student, teacher, secondary school student, nonacademic specialist, foreign physician, international visitor, government visitor, camp counselor, au pair, or summer student in a travel/work program.

At the conclusion of the program, participants are expected to return to the home countries to utilize the experience and skills they have acquired while in the U.S.

J-2:  Family Members of J-1 Visa Holder

The spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 accompanying J-1 Visa holders who accompany or later join the J-1 holder in the U.S. can apply for a J-2 Visa.  The immigration status of a J-2 Visa ends at the same time as the associated J-1 Visa holder’s status.

Do you receive Law Offices of Kameli & Associates Newswire?