The EB-1 Visa is for athletes with an extraordinary ability in their field of endeavor. They may be eligible to gain U.S. permanent residency under the EB1-A category. Individuals qualifying under this category need not secure a job position, putting them at advantage over EB-2 (the case is different with regard to EB-2 NIW visa applicants) applicants.
There are many advantages for the EB1 holders, including but not limited to:
- Can self-petition and a job offer is not required in this visa category.
- There is no need to go through the lengthy labor certification process.
- The EB1-A immigrant visa is current which means that it is faster to obtain a U.S. green card in this category as compared to EB-2 and EB-3 categories.
- Premium processing is available to EB1-A applicants.
- The foreign applicant’s spouse and unmarried children may also receive a U.S. immigrant visa under the EB1-A category.
There are certain requirements that individuals should meet in order to obtain U.S. permanent residency under the EB1 category. The eligibility criteria are as follows:
In order to demonstrate that a foreign national has received national or international acclaim, he or should have either received a one-time achievement (a major internationally recognized prize such as a Nobel Prize) or satisfy at least three of the following criteria: